Lincoln and Harrison Boulevards
This memorial is in the memory of the soldiers, sailors, marines, airmen, and coast guardsmen, who lost their lives in service of their country in the American coastal waters of the Pacific Ocean during World War II. The memorial consists of a curved gray granite wall decorated with a bas relief eagle sculpture on the left end of the memorial and a statue of Liberty on its right flank. On the wall are inscribed the name, rank, organization and State of each of the 412 American missing whose remains were never recovered or identified.
The architect was Hervey Parke Clark, a Detroit native. Mr. Clark studied architecture at the University of Pennsylvania. He moved to San Francisco in 1932 and practiced until 1970. He was a fellow of the American Institute of Architects.
Other than the war memorial in the Presidio, Clarks work included buildings at Stanford University and the University of California at Santa Barbara and the United States consulate in Fukuoka, Japan.
The Landscape Architect was Lawrence Halprin who has appeared in this website several times before.
The sculptor was Jean de Marco, who won the 1965 Henry Hering Memorial Award for his work here. Jean de Marco was born on May 2, 1898 in Paris, France. While in Paris he served as an apprentice at the Attenni and Sons Studios, a statuary, stone and marble carving atelier. De Marco studied at the art schools of Paris from 1912-1917 and at the Ecole Nationale des Arts Decoratifs. After serving in the army in 1917 he continued his studies in casting and finishing.
De Marco came to the US in 1928 and settled in New York. De Marco taught at Columbia University, The National Academy of Design and Iowa State University. He died in 1990.